Sunday, February 04, 2007

So Long

JP 2/2007

Maybe there's a god
But I haven't seen his face round here in so long
He must have spared the rod
Cause this earth has been so spoiled for so long, so long
The weight of the world ground my heart into a pearl
Cold as the ocean and shiny as the sun
And I don't think it ever thawed
And it's kinda had me down for so long, so long

When I left South Dakota
I'd been stuck in wintertime for so long
My god I should have told ya
How my will to live had withered for so long, so long
Blood lines and star signs won't tell me how I'll take
And this poor farmer's almanac says nothing bout my state
It just says that I'll survive
Even dead comes back alive after so long, so long

--------------------------------------------------
Mom and Pop turned Big Box - welcome back
Now there's smoking laws and city blocks - welcome back
And the cost of living is cheaper one town over
One town over - welcome back
--------------------------------------------------

I drove in on a Sunday
Been hoping for my head to clear for so long
But I got lost along the way
In one second all those years were so gone, so gone
I crossed over on a highway through barriers and cones
This poor heart wanted badly but I couldn't see my home
Instead I just kept driving
And this car has been in gear for so long, so long
So long.

2 comments:

L said...

i like this.

Beth said...

I agree with writer :) also.. I'd totally drive you across the friggin' state o Texas to get you the Chapin. I think writer would come along. (I love aliases)