Friday, September 15, 2006

"It goes all night like a broken record..."


the studio
Originally uploaded by Czech Girl.
Hm. Friday. Sweet.

I think I might have passed over the "3 month hump" of living in a new place, because I feel happy lately. I mean, I was never miserable here...well, ok maybe. Let's break it down:

June: Moved. Spent the majority of the time settling, driving around, getting the lay of the land, feeling like an outsider. Went back to ABQ in the middle of the month, didn't feel like I had been gone at all.

July: Freaking hot. Oppressively hot. Freaked out about jobs. Looking for a full time job. Convinced I need benefits and 40 hours to even survive. One gig. Listless, lazy days. Open mics at night. No direction. Positive life was passing me by and all my old friends forgot about me.

August: Still freaking hot, but used to it. Still freaked out about jobs. Decide to "business-ize" the music, make progress organizing my life and giving purpose. Start waking up at 7 AM or earlier every day, find that I get things done in the morning and feel better. Get a part time job. Acclimate pretty well. Enjoy income. Schedule September gigs.

September: Come to the conclusion that I want a 25-30 hour/week job that pays decently so I can work the other 30 hours/week on music and probably another 10-20 on performing and networking. Schedule more gigs. Meet more people. Get Texas plates, quit feeling like an imposter. Feel at home. Marvel at how well I fit this place. Write a lot. Finish songs. I hope this mindset continues.

So my cousin called yesterday all sad about his new military living quarters, and the attitiude of people there. It's definitely a switch for him, but I told him (since he'll be there for at least 2 years) that he needs to give it 3 months to settle. By then he won't be the new kid on base anymore, and his fellow base-livers will get to know him. And in no time he'll be the "old timer" and forget these initial awkward days. I do believe that. That's all you can tell yourself.

Happy Austin City Limits Festival Weekend. That means that Lamar, the street I live along, will be crowded with thousands of tourists for three whole days. I did not buy a ticket, but next year I will. I'm sad I'm missing Kathleen Edwards (and about 60 other people but I lurve Kathleen like I love popcorn). I think I'll avoid traffic all day if I can except to pick up my paycheck and play the gig. Free coffee. Awesome.

This just in: I have a lead on a PAPASAN CHAIR!!! $35 and green. Mmm. I look at it tomorrow. And then hopefully try and fit it into my car. Ow.

2 comments:

Beth said...

If it doesn't fit in the car.. you witnessed me tying a matress to mine... bring some rope and tie that sucker down hehe.
Also.. we never forget about the Jana.

L said...

your place looks uber hip and artsy! i am jealous.