Saturday, January 28, 2006

Harrumph

Packing is now an official pain. I am out of boxes, which is sad because I thought I had plenty. This means I have too much crap to put in those many boxes...and from what I can tell, the collection frenzy only gets worse as you get older/settled/richer, etc.

I was discussing the proposition with my roommate the other night that someone brave enough should take the Two Month Challange. Neither of us is that brave soul, but it would be an interesting experiment. The rules:

1. In one two month period, document everything you own that you actually USE -- a lot, a little, no matter.

2. At the end of the two months, if you haven't used it...chuck it.

3. There are obvious exceptions and caveats: photo albums and stuff like that should be exempt. Photos and pictures on the wall...do you "use" them because they are hanging there? I say yes. Then again, this is not a reason to keep that snow globe from the Florida vacation in 1986. Be discerning.

I suppose people could adapt this to any time period they want...one month for the really ascetic, maybe a year for those who really want to be sure. Perhaps the next move I make will involve a more rabid going-through of my belongings. Until then...boxes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i recently threw out a LOT of stuff. i figured if it was still in boxes from when we moved to albuquerque, its probably going to stay there. so far i havent missed anything...