Thursday, December 21, 2006

Sched-yule.

That title cracks me up. I am so clever sometimes.

So I am packing (or blogging perhaps) tonight for my flight outta Austin-Bergstrom International Airport after work tomorrow. I am too excited. It's been a while. My November trip home was too whirlwind to count, and I am looking forward to watching movies with Mum whilst wrapped up in a blanket with snow outside. Yes.

But I have had some interesting results in trying to see people I thought it might be nice to see. My friends who have either moved from NM before me or who have moved INTO New Mexico and had friends in other states have described this feeling to me, but I guess I never got it. However, I have made attempts to contact certain people for a casual get together involving food, and about 1/8th of those I contacted have even ackowledged me. So that whole "you know who your friends are" vibe I got from the more-experienced ex-pats is true.

And I understand that most of my friends still run on a school schedule wherein students think they have a right to ignore people for a semester...I did it too. But I guess I wish I hadn't. And I am trying to make amends and I am trying to keep something going. Sometimes I guess you just have to let things go.

And might I add, the people who read this, or call me, or let me call them, or who I know I'll see because we just work that way...this is not about them. And my good friends are copious and this is not a "Woe is me, I'm lonely" post. I guess the "working world" and all my networking and such has made me expect perhaps simple acknowledgement of an email. It's pretty basic. And sometimes I do let voicemails go for way too long a time...and maybe some people work better by voice and some by text.

It just seems that those who I have made an effort with and who make an effort with me...even though they are busy in school or are having babies or changing jobs...those are the ones who are worth the phone tag anyway. Maybe it's best not to mourn the loss of those who chose to fall off the map. I only have so many hours in the day. They are probably saying the same thing about me.

Wow. I resolved my issue all in one blog ramble. :) I hope again this doesn't sound whiny, because it's just fact. And to you my buddies who ramble along with me in this crazy life, thank you. I really could not do it without you.

2 comments:

L said...

i'm glad i got to see you at least once while you were here. sorry i made you endure that long drawn out gift search at target. the good news is, my brother loved the gift! (ALL THANKS TO YOU!)

Beth said...

I thought all your good friends lived in California. hehe..
I think the falling by the wayside happens to a lot of relationships. Moving just excellerates the process.... but... sometimes people come back into contact after years of silence. It's strange.
Mostly... I just wanted to say that I'm glad we can whine over the phone like we were just next door to eachother.