Sunday, April 09, 2006

Me at 16

I am deleting files off a bunch of floppy discs that have been sitting in my room for a looong long time...who uses floppy discs any more anyway? So I find a file called, "Goals" from May, 1999. I was 16 years old at the time...and clearly a kid with crazy ideas in her head (much like now). Here are my 1999 goals, and my subsequent commentary on whether I accomplished them or even care to any more:

1. To live in Ireland. Hrm. I guess I was fascinated with Europe at the time, and greenery, and Irish accents. I would definitely like to VISIT before I decide to live there. Also, I've lost that "live abroad" itch for the time being, for whatever reason.

2. To make money playing music. Well...I've done it. I probably meant as a steady income, though at 16, I would probably have been impressed with ANYTHING...like tips!

3. To publish a book of poems. Yeah not so much. I do like poetry. I kind of quit writing it, though. I feel like...to be a poet, you have to BE A POET. You can't just scratch around and write random poems and call yourself a poet. At least I can't anyway. That's something I'd need to dedicate more time to.

4. To make a CD of my own. Check and check. Two CDs down, more to go?

5. Not be so dependent on friends. What's up with that? Still have that problem, I guess. I suck. But who CAN you depend on?

6. To have a studio in my house. Haha one day. The dream lives on.

7. To survive Finals 1999. Apparently I did...cuz I'm here. That would have been geometry and the hardest sophomore English class at Manzano. Eesh.

8. To meet Shawn Colvin. Well, I saw Shawn leaving the Lensic Theater when Jamie and I went to see her and we told her that the show was "kickass." And Shawn said thanks...but is that really "meeting"?

9. To meet Mary Chapin Carpenter. CHECK. I always was all about meeting my musical heroes. MCC is probably the most elusive one, too...because she's the most "famous" of my favorites (she's not going to play at a house concert, that's for sure) and she does not frequent New Mexico. So I had to fly to Atlanta, where I lucked out with a backstage pass. Heckyeeeahs.

There we go. I've done all right. I'm pretty sure I had other goals going on at the time but who knows what they were. Maybe I'll make another list and pull it out in 7 years. You never know what will happen.

2 comments:

L said...

not bad, not bad at all!!

Beth said...

Hehehe awww cute 16 yr old you. Well atleast you've accomplished some of your goals from when you were 16. I think mine... were probably ridiculous, non-sensical, and lame. Hence why I don't make goals any more,unless a spanish futbol announcer is talking behing me. Then it'd be a goooooooooool!