Sunday, November 26, 2006

Imogen F-in' Heap

Oh my. I just saw an amazing concert. Now, I realize that whenever I see a concert, I say: "This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen and it has changed my life," but really...it's usually true. This time I learned a whole lot from a British girl with a fluffy pink dress, Bride-of-Frankenstein hair, and a see-through piano. Miss Imogen Heap, meet my list of life-changers.

She is pretty hypnotic and trance-inducing on her album "Speak For Yourself," but I was not prepared for the level of rock and roll goddess that Imogen is...she had the whole venue jumping up and down and she grooves like...well, a British girl on speed. Or something. She really is so very British, and says cute British things between songs. "Roight. Well then, are we all doing all right? Good." God love that accent.

That is one of her many keyboards that she hauls out and loops and mixes and it's insane. She starts the show by introducing her "band" -- and runs us through her whole set up from her Mac to her MIDI interface to her see-through grand piano shell that houses more electronics. It is so bizarre. It all worked well tonight, though her blog documents an equipment meltdown, which I am sure occurs sometimes. It's almost enough to make me sell my guitars and buy a keyboard and a pink dress, but then I think maybe wood and strings are a little simpler for me to handle. But maybe I can start hopping around. I'd like that.

3 comments:

L said...

those are great photos!

Beth said...

You know a concert is good when Jana uses the F'bomb to describe it. Sadly.. I did not go because colon cancer got the best of me. Dammit.

Anonymous said...

jana, let's get outfits like that and go drink starbucks at target. and sit in the chairs on the endcaps and talk about old times.