Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bonus

I knew I was going to buy the new Dixie Chicks record today for various reasons, some of them being:

- They make good music.
- It's been a while.
- Whatever your political stance is, people in general should be horrified that these girls and their families endured death threats over one political opinion.
- I want to give a big "harrumph" to the Nashille establishment for making a ton of money off the Chicks for several years, and then immediately black-balling them because they defied the Republican Clear Channel establishment.
- They had the guts to record and release a song reacting to the above and not apologizing for having a thought about the status of their country.
- I like harmonies. :)

I was expecting good stuff, but yeah. They outdid themselves with this record. They used Rick Rubin as producer -- he did Johnny Cash's last set of albums before he died. They co-wrote a lot with the lead singer from Semisonic (remember them?). And as always, Martie and Emily play a bunch of instruments on the CD.

I was not expecting to find my new theme song for life (which changes about 4 times a year...I guess it's seasonal). But here was track 1 in all its glory and I almost had to quit driving the car to listen (and PS I know it is so cliche to post song lyrics and I'm sorry but MAN SOOO GOOD):

Taking the Long Way

My friends from high school
Married their high school boyfriends
Moved into houses
In the same ZIP codes where their parents live
But I could never follow
No I could never follow

I hit the highway
In a pink RV with stars on the ceiling
Lived like a gypsy
Six strong hands on the steering wheel

I’ve been a long time gone now
Maybe someday I’m gonna settle down
But I’ve always found my way somehow
By takin’ the long way
Takin’ the long way around

I met the queen of whatever
Drank with the Irish and smoked with the hippies
Moved with the shakers
Wouldn’t kiss all the asses that they told me to
No I could never follow
No I could never follow

It’s been two long years now
Since the top of the world came crashing down
And I’m getting it back on the road now
But I’m takin’ the long way
Takin’ the long way around

Well I fought with a stranger and I met myself
I opened my mouth and I heard myself
It can get pretty lonely when you show yourself
Guess I could have made it easier on myself

There we go. I'm pretty certain life leads you the long way for the most part. I guess some people "fast track," though I'm happy to say most of my friends are doing their own thing at their own pace. That's pretty much all you can ask. So do it. And buy the Chicks record to make a point.

No comments: