Saturday, August 12, 2006

Chew on this.

I just finished watching a documentary made by Woody Harrelson called Go Further. It's nothing I haven't heard before, yet it is simply another piece of evidence propelling me to wonder how many times do I have to hear what is good for me to follow through? And how many millions MORE times does society have to hear things to have them sink in? Some facts:

- Food goes into our bodies. It is the thing that fuels our lifeforce. Corporations that own large farms and factories that produce this food are not concerned with our bodies. They are concerned with their bottom line. Pesticides that are sprayed on vegetables are in our bodies. Growth hormones given to cows are in our bodies. We have the option not to buy these things. We can buy organic. If everyone in the country stopped buying chemical-laden food tomorrow, these corporations would have to adapt. They can sell me my organic food if they want. No one loses, everyone wins.

- Soap, shampoo, and cleansers go onto our skin and hair. Again, these items were developed in an era of "progress." We can make synthetic soap! We can inject chickens with hormones to make them bigger! It's as if we were so geared toward progress and the magic of invention that we never stopped to think..."It's new...it's efficient...is it good?" Is it good for me to slather Bath & Body Works all over myself when I can't pronounce the ingredients? Is it good for me to inject my pores with chemicals?

- Using paper causes millions upon millions of trees to be cut down each year. It's simple to make paper products out of hemp or flax, and if this process became as refined and popular as tree-paper...well, we'd be paying no more for paper and the forests wouldn't be assualted like they are now.

- Solar power. Wind power. Electric cars. Biodiesel. They all work. They'd work better if some $$$ and political power brokers backed them up. That's how things get done in this country. That's why ($$$ and politics) the logging and oil industries (paper and gasoline) stay on top.

- So why do I play along? Right now I guess it's because I can't afford organic veggies in mass, or to buy a biodiesel vehicle. But I want to, and I will. And if every single one of us did the same thing...if we all said, "Hey, I'm buying the recycled stuff today," then how long before the powers that be, with their newly dwindling $$$ reserves, pay attention?

- Environmentalism is not against any political belief system. It is not anti-capitalist. It is not "hippie." It is now or it is never.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I saw an IMAX on coral reefs recently and it definitely drilled the point of taking care of the environment. A very important point. I think one of the best things featured in the film was a line from a Fijiian tribe, "Our children do not inherit the earth from us; we borrow the earth from our children."

L said...

its ridiculous that to live a lifestyle that is healthy and RIGHT involves having to be independently wealthy. JE suggests we all move to the middle of nowhere and grow our own shit. i'm pretty sure i'd miss target..