Friday, August 25, 2006

Genuine Joe

Yeah I'm slow and yeah so sue me. I'm sitting in this cute coffeehouse waiting on an open mic to start and it's really how I envision my living room being at my quaint Virginia farm when I buy it. :) The walls are a calming green and the sofa is yellow and 30 years old but not hippie-gross if you know what I mean. Rock on. Also they sell POPCORN but I spent all my cash on coffee before I noticed that, dangit.

So the other night driving home from another open mic (this is my 3rd one this week), I got off the interstate about 4 blocks from my place and I swear, I saw 4 sets of cops and flashing lights for traffic stops. One every block. I am not exaggerating. It made me kinda happy I was not speeding at the time, really. And then I wondered if all 4 of them were just hiding in the bushes and pounced at the same time or something. Weird.

This place has what is called a "Dr. Smoothie" which makes me think of Dr. Pepper but it looks like a regular old latte and the combination sounds gross and I'm sure it has nothing to do with soda but what the hey.

I have recently started making the tranistion into treating music as a business as well as an art form, and so far I think I am learning a little. I have been forcing myself to get up at 7 AM and actually find it to be a good time to write and get things done. It also, somehow, makes me less tired during the day. I think it's because I am finding more purpose instead of just floating around in job and gig limbo. I find my schedule to be more akin to ye olde college days...work during the day, and then work more at night in terms of either practice or playing out. Which really, I have found, leaves no room for a social life. Thus I understand why many of the artists I love have personal lives that are in the crapper...except the fortunate thing about music is it has its own built in social life. So I am not lacking in people-contact, it's just the people contact is usually at a bar or coffeehouse. Eh. It works. Goodness knows there will always be something to whine about, I know that. So I might as well start here.

Otherwise...well. I dunno. It's been a good week. I like Austin. I miss Albuquerque. I don't think I can ask for anything different at this point. Quite.

2 comments:

Beth said...

so this should really go on the earlier post but.. my dad said that the Hatch flood is causing the "shipments" to Denver to be limited.. thus jacking the price.
Screw oil. Hatch chile shortage should be the worlds first concern.
Also.. I enjoy phone calls.. but hate the network.

L said...

hmmm. i dont want you to move to virginia. if i cant get a flight to austin, how will i get all the way back east?!