Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Meet the New Neighbors

At the Alamo Drafthouse...I love it.  Hitch, that is.  And beer.

Oh yes, beer is tasty. Tasty, tasty beer. My new drink of choice is Red Stripe, which is Jamaican and comes in ridiculously cool bottles. And it's a sweet beer, just like Jamaica. I've never been, but I bet Jamaica smells like Red Stripe. Or something. Oh just look at Hitch and forget I ever typed this.

So I have new downstairs neighbors, and they are a kick in the pants. Upon meeting them, I immediately learned how they met, how they got married, saw Doc's UT Longhorns tattoo (just guess where THAT is), and was offered piano lessons. They have 2 fluffy pretty cats, a baby grand, leather couches, and a giant TV. Like, this TV is huge. I have seen big TV's before but this is movie theater quality. And Doc really is a doctor...so if I ever sever my finger cutting butternut squash and don't have health insurance, I have options. It's all about options, people.

I've been a cover letter writing fool. A fool! I have about 5 to mail out today. Well, I should finish them today. Except I seem to have a mild or perhaps very massive form of ADD and write blogs and check my Youtube hits instead. Go figure.

I have had a steady stream of New Mexican visitors over the past couple of weeks, and it's been a good thing. To be honest, I was dreading the month of August. It's pretty much the pit of heck weather wise, and intense soul-sucking heat does nothing for the job hunt mojo. However, seeing familiar faces breaks up the monotony just enough that I feel like being productive, hence all those cover letters I need to write. I also seem to have met enough people out here to keep my social calendar full if I want to, so that's nice. Not all of them have cats and leather couches, though.

On the music front, I am currently re-obsessed with Tori Amos. I finished her book the other day, which caused me to pull out all her CDs and ponder the deeper meaning of Tori that I have decided I will never understand. I usually really like accessible artists. Songwriting that I can go, "Man! They ripped that line right out of my head!" Tori is someone I will never get and I like it that way. I don't know what the hell she's talking about; I don't think most of her fans know, either...but somehow she connects on some strange level somewhere I have yet to define. And that is the mystery of Tori. Amen.

2 comments:

L said...

tori amos. redstripe beer. butternut squash. alfred hitchcock.
i love you jana.

Jana said...

you make me sound cooler than i am! ;)