Friday, July 28, 2006

Feast or Famine

Isn't it strange how life ebbs and flows around us, and we usually crave whatever tidal phase is the farthest from returning. When it's winter, I crave blasting summer heat. And here now in the bowels of summer, I cannot wait to be enveloped by cold air when I walk outside. When I seemingly have no social life around me, I can't stand being in my apartment alone. When about 8 million things pop up, I freak out and want to sleep. Some days I have dreams of walking over to Target and dropping $100, but when I actually walk into the store, an intense frugality overwhelms me and I go home empty-handed.

All of this is cool, it's neither good nor bad I think -- as long as we're aware that these extreme times are just that...things that could never last. I try to keep my temperment in the middle. Those of you know me well know this breaks down with ridiculous consequences sometimes, usually resulting in a trip to the store for pumpkin cookies, haha. But really, on my headstone, I hope one of the things inscribed on it is: "That's Jana. She was pretty even keel."

The specs:

Currently working on: cleaning my apartment because Heather is coming!
Listening to: Teatro by Willie Nelson
Reading: Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer
Putting Off: Paying the electric bill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've talked about this. The electric bill can wait. Gas, too. The red "cancel service" warning is just a little tap on the shoulder is all.

L said...

today i freaked out about bills i have to pay. i was going to call you and cry, but then i just paid them and hoped i wouldnt get overdrawn. *sigh*