Sunday, July 23, 2006

Glorious.

Haha yeah. I guess if I only have one cranky post a week I'm doing ok. ;) I don't even mean the last post to be cranky, more of an observation. (The alcoholic part, that is*).

So yesterday I got to meet some fine people, hang out at a gorgeous North Austin park (more like a wildlife preserve is you ask me, but they call it a park), and play music for a neighborhood association BBQ cook-off. Thaaat's right. That meant that MULTIPLE people cooked BBQ and made enough to share. I even got to be a judge, so I tasted 3 kinds of chicken and 2 kinds of brisket. The clear winner in my book was chicken with this...luscious, sweet, sticky sauce that seemed to have been in the oven for about 6 years to achieve the perfect balance of sauce, juice, and meat. Gah. I was quite pleased. I am still stuffed.

I got paid in cabbage. No, really. :) I played for tips and sold CDs and then the nice family who got me involved in it all sent me home with a cabbage that had been grilled in tin foil. It's tasty! I'm using that as a story for many gigs to come, so be forewarned.

Also, this week I sang karaoke. TO MY OWN SONG. That was weird. My karaoke-queen buddy who booked me for an hour slot last week has a penchant for "My Best Guess." So when I showed up at karaoke night to observe the madness, she insisted I sing my own song...over myself...well, bizarre. Oddly fun. I'm not changing my act to pure karaoke, though. ;) I think the audience mostly thought "This is not Destiny's Child. We want Destiny's Child!" Next time I'll just do Bootylicious.

* JUUUUST KIDDING.

1 comment:

L said...

i've found that "no scrubs" is always a big kareoke hit. i also am aware that i can't spell.