Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Feelin' Independent

Happy (late) 4th o' July! Fireworks...they never get old. I got to partake in watermelon, hamburgers, and apple pie at the invitation of some very nice people I just met, and we found a spot outside of town to watch a fireworks display -- in the rain. It was weird. Umbrellas and the smell of smoke in the air. Happy Birthday, America.

Um I got a gig. Next week at Baby A's which is a pretty decent restaurant / music venue (although every place in this town has a stage attached to it). That's pretty cool. The booker lady liked my stuff...so this is my first independently acquired gig.

Last week at a songwriter's circle I went to, there was a "special guest" who I had never heard of, but he played a few and he sounded good. (He was good for that Texas-Man-I-Sound-Like-George-Strait crowd). So I Googled him today and it turns out he came in second on Nashville Star a few years back. You really just never know who is floating around out here. Color me impressed. Actually, it is my new hobby to look up every musician I meet/see around town on Myspace and make them my friend. My friend list has increased quite a lot, and it's pretty cool to actually see these people in person as opposed to just hearing their streaming sound files. Reality, you can't beat it.

Tomorrow: A slew of people playing at the Cactus Cafe, including Abra Moore. Remember her one hit in the 90's? "Four Leaf Clover." Look it up, it's catchy. You know it.